Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Barack Obama: The Power of Change

I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for the public schools that nurtured me and helped me along. And I am committed, as well as my husband, to ensuring that more kids like us and kids around this country, regardless of their race, their income, their status, or the property values in their neighborhood, get access to an outstanding education.
Michell Obama Speech at the U. S. Department of Education, February 2, 2009

I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president—not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans.
Caroline KennedyThe New York Times, January 28, 2008

For the very first time in my life, I feel compelled to stand up and speak out for the man who I believe has a new vision for America.
Oprah Winfrey,People, December 9, 2007

Aside from the irritating introduction and shaky transitions, Barack Obama’s Power of Change is more than a compellation of propagandized speeches and interviews. The video, which was composed during the primary season, is geared to the already converted, as well as cusp voters, so naturally it appeals to individuals who want to be swept up in the historical significance. However, once you take away the poor production quality, the meat of the film fulfills its intended purpose, and Barack Obama’s character speaks for itself. He is eloquent, empowering, intelligent, and highly tuned in with the needs of the average American. Obama’s big name followers are equally articulate in their declarations of support. The diversity of the speakers, ranging from Cornel West and Tavis Smiley to Caroline Kennedy, Oprah Winfrey, and Hill Harper, demonstrate the diversity of Obama’s appeal. The remarks of his wife, Michelle Obama, are particularly poignant. With her rare ability to speak to hundreds of people like she has known them for years, Michelle is able to convey the weight of her personal experience. The messages are concise, significant, and inspirational, which is the goal of the video—thus, it is successful and worth watching.

-Meghan Riordan



No comments:

Post a Comment